[massanity] Re: Initial thoughts from Nathaniel

Patrik Fältström paf at cisco.com
Thu Dec 16 08:31:29 CET 2004

I have not heard much from other people than Nathaniel on this MIME or
non-MIME issue.

Is it the case (a) you don't care (b) don't have time or (c) it doesn't
matter?

I have seen more evidence for example Cisco marketing pushing non-MIME
format very very hard, and if we don't have any arguments why signing
MIME-structured bodies of SMTP messages is technically broken, that is
what will happen.

What I saw today is that (of course) the Outlook client is structured
internally in a way so it handle only MIME-parts. To get the raw data,
one have to fight very hard (if at all possible). So, a request might
go to Microsoft to change the client to NOT be as MIME-aware as it is
today. This because the whole body have to be treated as an opaque
blob.

I feel I have been fighting for 10 years no for more MIME support, and
I don't understand how the technical community (IETF) can accept now
email taking a step back in evolution towards non-MIME mechanisms.
Without ESMTP negotiation abilities that imply changes of RFC2822 body
content (but still intact content after MIME parsing).

Please, spend some 10-20 seconds on this, and let me know what you all
think.

      paf