[massanity] Re: Initial thoughts from Nathaniel

Chris Newman Chris.Newman at Sun.COM
Sat Dec 18 02:33:25 CET 2004

I largely concur with James but would state it more strongly.

If MASS is attempting to do object signing or end-to-end security, then it is a
complete waste of time and deserves no IETF attention.  We've tried this four
times and have two failures and two partial successes.  Software support for
S/MIME is surprisingly widely deployed, but the PK infrastructure seems to be a
show-stopper for actual use outside small enclaves.

If we view the path a message takes through MTAs as follows:

   Submit -> *local hop -> MX domain hop -> *local hop -> message store

then MASS should focus on protecting only the MX domain hop.  If the scope for
MASS is limited to that, then I consider it important and well worth our
attention and I have no problem with it ignoring MIME structure (as content
transformations can be deferred to the local hops).  But as long as we're in
the end-to-end security religion trap MASS will fail and we shouldn't waste
time on it.

                - Chris