[massanity] Re: Initial thoughts from Nathaniel

Patrik Fältström paf at cisco.com
Sat Dec 18 07:51:45 CET 2004

I asked the people at Cisco working with the IIM proposal why they sign
the body of a message, and I got the answer "to protect against replay
attacks, where a signed message is grabbed, body changed, and then used
as spam". Further, even though it protects only the MX hop, they claim
the verification *can* be done end to end (verification in client) if
the MTA doesn't support MASS verification. Also, they explicitly want
the verification to survive what I would call two MX hops, where
mailing list explosion is happening in between the two hops.

So, what I see is (once again) that the list of "what problem are we
solving" is missing.

    paf